The Institute for Public Policy and Social Research is a unit of the College of Social Science at Michigan State University. Along with our Legislative Leadership Program, the Institute hosts policy forums, informational sessions, fellowships, research database, survey research, research papers and training programs for legislators and legislative staff. Examples include:
- Public Policy Forums – Every month while the Michigan Legislature is in session, these Public Policy Forums present essential information about the state’s most pressing problems. Our winter session starts in January 2021.
- Legislative Staff Training -- Specialized workshops on policy and professioinal development for all legislative staff conducted three times a year.
- State of the State Survey - The only survey conducted in Michigan designed to systematically monitor the public mood on important issues in major regions of the state.
- Rosenthal Internship Program – Nominate your interns for meaningful scholarships. Free workshops and awards programs are available to legislative interns. Workshops are due to begin again in 2021.
- Corrrelates of State Policy -- A compilation of U.S. state policy research, tracking policy differences across the 50 states and changes over time. A "one-stop" shop of more than 900 variables from various sources assembled into one, useful dataset.
2021 Program Resources
- February 2021 Agenda -- Coming Soon!
- February 2021 Directory -- Coming Soon!
February Presentations -- Coming Soon!
- Community Mental Health
- Behaviorial Health Access Study
- Consumer and Family Perspectives in Behavioral Health
2020 Program Resource Documents
Michigan's Budget - Revenues and Expenditures
Transportation & Infrastructure
Across the Partisan Divide
Economic Outlook & Business Development
COVID-19 and Long-term Strategies for Michigan Public Health
A compilation of extensive resources related to the 2020 program can be found here (.pdf)
Staying in Touch
IPPSR stays in touch with the policy community in a number of ways – through email, the ippsr.msu.edu website, news releases and media relations and those who take part in its programs. You can stay in touch with IPPSR through Institute for Public Policy and Social Research on Facebook and Twitter @ippsr @mplpmsu and by subscribing to our YouTube Channel.