About IPPSR’s LLP Staff Training Program
IPPSR has kicked off an innovative new program to enhance the training and performance of Michigan’s Legislative Staff members – the newest to the job and the most experienced. The first session, in January 2017, mixed the expertise of MSU faculty, state department leaders and private industry executives who were willing to share high-level specialized knowledge and experience.
The rigorous, all-day session included presentations on Michigan’s revenue and expenditures, a social media luncheon, roundtable sessions on infrastructure, writing legislation, local finance and taxes, conversations with seasoned legislative staff and workforce development.Legislators selected staff members who were newly hired, newly moving into policy oriented positions or those whose interests are set on future policy posts.
IPPSR is the longtime home of the Michigan Political Leadership Program and the Legislative Leadership Program, not to mention our well-received Public Policy Forums, State of the State Survey and Daniel Rosenthal Intern Program. Our newest program builds on those and combines the best of MPLP and LLP into a single day of training for legislative staff members. It is undertaken as a partnership between IPPSR, MSU Extension and MSU’s Office for Governmental Affairs.
IPPSR thanks all state and private industry leaders as well as those staff members and leaders who contributed time and energy to this debut program. It received high marks in every category and future plans will reflect evaluations and the needs expressed within them.
The initial program took place at the James B. Henry Center for Executive Development Henry Center, a highly regarded management education center operated by MSU’s Broad College of Business.
It featured facilitated, small group workshops during the day and highlighted Michigan’s budget, along with other key issues facing the state.
This program, as does our Legislative Leadership Program, has the support of the legislative leadership and MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon. We look forward to future sessions of IPPSR’s LLP Staff Training.
Materials from the first Legislative Leadership Program Staff Training Session
These materials, in .pdf format, reflect the excellent and dedicated work of our Staff Training speakers. They include overviews of Michigan's budgetary process, local tax and finance, social media background and highlights and information on how to make best use of the Michigan Library and resources from the National Conference of State Legislatures, a bipartisan nongovernmental organization established to serve the members and staff of the state legislatures of the United States' -- its states, commonwealths and territories.
- See the presentation from Mary Ann Cleary, Director of the Michigan House Fiscal Agency (.pdf)
- See the presentation from Ellen Jeffries, Director of the Michigan Senate Fiscal Agency, (.pdf)
- See the presentation from Michal Lorenc, Head of Industry, Google (.pdf)
- See the presentation from Robert Kleine's, Interim Director of the MSU Extension Center for Local Government, Finance and Policy (.pdf)
- See the presentation from Laura Tobler (.pdf)
- See Library of Michigan References (.pdf)
- See Library of Michigan Brochure (.pdf)
- Directory of Staff Training speakers and contacts (.pdf)
- Program for LLP Staff Training (.pdf)
- Download IPPSR staff photos from Flickr
- See photos taken at LLP Staff Training by Photographer Erin Groom