Our biweekly compilation of policy-related readings from divergent voices across Michigan.
On the Left
- Mitch Albom: The Ugly Truth of Michigan's No-Fault Reform Bill An article from Mitch Albom with the Detroit Free Press shares the pitfalls of the recent changes to Michigan’s auto insurance.
- Duggan Announces Sweeping Demolition Plan for Blighted Detroit Homes An article from Michigan Advance highlights Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan’s plan to rid the city of abandoned homes.
- Don’t sentence 17-year-olds as adults A Detroit News article discusses the impact of adult sentencing for 17 year old offenders.
On the Right
- Money for Roads Doesn't Go Where It's Needed the Most An article from Michigan Capitol Confidential indicates that money for fixing the roads doesn’t take into consideration areas that need repairs the most.
- Mitch Albom is Wrong About Michigan Auto Insurance Changes A Mackinac Center for Public Policy blog details auto insurance reform.
- Green Jobs: The Antithesis of Efficiency A Mackinac Center for Public Policy blog challenges data showing the number of jobs created through renewable sources.
Down the Middle
- Michigan House GOP Plans to Replace Sales Tax on Gasoline to Fund the Roads A Bridge Magazine article says the Michigan GOP plan to replace the current sales tax on gasoline with a tax to fix the roads.
- Special assessments are a tax by another name A Bridge Magazine article outlines the financial impact of Special Assessments tax – a local unit financing tool.
- Climate change drives shifts between high, low Great Lakes water levels Climate change is affecting water levels in the Great Lakes, says a Bridge Magazine article calling for better decision-making tools and forecasts.