On the Left
- New Enviro Report Underscores Loose Factory Farm Regulation Michigan Advance publishes a report showing Southeast Michigan farms are contributing to Lake Erie pollution.
- Beto, Beto, Beto… “It’s All About the Kids” Edition An Electablog post scolds Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke for proposing that the educational system cares most about students. The writer advocates for everyone working in schools, from teachers to custodians, to be regarded.
- Nominee Spotlight: Rep. Yousef Rabhi Progress Michigan makes Rep. Rabhi its legislator of the month for introducing legislation favouring university health care and calling for mandatory legislative financial disclosures.
On the Right
- Charter School Critique Misses the Mark Mackinac Center for Public Policy’s blog discuses recent findings from the Century Foundation on diversity in charter schools.
- Whitmer, Nessel choose green posture over blue collar The director of environment policy at Mackinac Center for Public Policy discusses the potential effects of Gov. Whitmer and Secretary of State Dana Nessel’s recent environmental policies on Michigan’s blue collar workers
- Collective Bargaining Does Not Equality Make A Michigan Capitol Confidential article shares data showing that unionization does not lead to gender pay parity as claimed by many.
Down the Middle
- Can Detroit's Turnaround Go Beyond Downtown? IPPSR Affiliate Sarah Reckhow, an MSU political scientist, is quoted in a Governing article explaining the difficulties in financing and tax structure for urban development.
- Bill to Bar Michigan "Sanctuary Cities" Face Headwinds in Lansing Local immigration policy became a topic of debate this week when a pair of bills passed out of a House committee this week. A Bridge Magazine article outlines how the bills will affect Michigan communities.
- Abolish homeowner real property tax to spur Detroit's comeback A Bridge Magazine opinion piece advocates for abolishing the real property tax on homeowners in Detroit to prevent migration of low-income homeowners and revitalization of the city based on a recent report released by Detroit Future City.